Best Living Room Table Styles for Your Modern Home
Decorating your living room can be a fun but challenging task to complete. The living room, as the name implies, is the room where you and your family spend the most time. The furniture you add to this space should do 3 things: it should be stylish, it should be versatile and it should serve at least one purpose. Of course you need comfortable seating, that goes without question, but often overlooked or purchased hastily and without much thought, are the tables that accompany your sofa and chairs. But, when the right living room tables are selected, they can add a visual flow or serve as the focal point of your space. Here is a breakdown of the 3 essential categories of living room tables to help you accomplish your overall interior design look.
- Coffee tables
The coffee table is usually the last thing you think about when buying living room furniture, but it can really serve as the focal point of your room. If you have adequate space in your room you can choose from an array of different shapes and styles. A good coffee table can fill the gap in your aesthetic design while serving a multitude of purposes.
Things to consider
- Coffee tables should be around 18-20 inches away from the couch
- The top of the table should sit 1-2 inches lower than the sofa or chair cushion
- Glass, stone and metal tables do not require coasters to be used
- An oval or round table top is safer if children will be using the room
- Ottomans can act as a coffee table when topped with trays and are a stylish choice
- Decide ahead of time if you need storage space or you can go without drawers
- Nesting tables, two tables combined into one, can be a stylish approach
- In small spaces, matching side tables, placed side by side, are an alternative to one large table.
Choosing the right coffee table for your living room style
There are so many different styles of coffee tables available now, but picking one that compliments your room as a whole is imperative. If your living room is a formal or modern space consider materials like marble or glass for tops, and bases made of iron or metal with antiqued brass or satin brass finishes.
If the space has an urban, industrial or even farmhouse theme look for glass tops with solid wood bases that have a dark stain or finish. Or, reverse that look for a solid wood table top mixed with an industrial looking stainless steel base.
A popular look for a traditional or casual interior design in a table made out of teak root or reclaimed wood, paired with a glass top. They are totally unique options and there are no two alike. A wood table with a weathered finish, maybe in light gray, also fits nicely into this decor theme.
- Side tables
Side tables can be a great addition to a living room space and can add a pop of color or even texture to the room.
Things to consider
- The table should sit 1-2 inches below the top of the couch arm
- The number of tables needed depends on the amount of seating available
- Tables do not have to match but should have a similar look
- Shapes can be round, oval or square
- Side tables should be sleek and simple
- Look for tables which do not require coasters
Choosing the right side table for your living room style
There are literally thousands of choices when it comes to these small living room tables, so again have a theme in mind before you start shopping. Solid wood tables made out of timber like oak carry a traditional theme, while iron and other metals combined with brass finishes achieve an industrial look. A grey washed or weathered reclaimed wood table would go great with a casual or coastal themed room. There are also pull up side tables that are multifunctional and serve more than just an aesthetic purpose.
- Console tables
What is a console table and why do you need one? A console table is a narrow table supported by brackets instead of legs and is usually placed against a wall or behind a couch. Consoles are also used to display tvs instead of media centers. They are a great unobtrusive way to display decorative pieces and memorabilia and also help to draw attention to art work when placed underneath paintings on a wall.
Things to consider
- Take measurements of the wall or couch you intend to place the console by
- Consider what shape would work best in your living room
- Decide on functionality ahead of time. Is it meant to be used for added storage or is it a display piece?
- Choose a sturdy material especially if being used as a display unit
Choosing the right console table for your living room style
Side tables are sleek and stylish additions to living rooms. They come in an array of styles, materials, shapes and sizes. Geometric bases with wood grain tops are popular in modern homes, while a table with drawer storage might be better suited in a traditional dwelling. Tables made out of steel or iron are great options for an urban environment, while solid wood consoles made from teak or mahogany might go well in a coastal themed home.
These are the best living room table styles for your modern home, and will be sure to complete the look you are trying to achieve. A great coffee table will make a focal statement. A pair of side tables will provide your guests with a place to rest their drinks, and will add a subtle elegance. A sleek console table is the perfect way to display your beautiful framed pictures or artwork. All in all, whatever your style, whatever living room tables you choose, create a space that you want to spend time in and enjoy the process.